Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Job no: 496077
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, Dornsife School of Public Health
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The newly formed Ubuntu Center on Racism, Global Movements, and Population Health Equity at the Drexel University Dornsife School of Public Health aims to unite diverse partners to generate and translate evidence, accelerate antiracism solutions, and transform the health of communities locally, nationally, and globally.
In support of its mission, the Ubuntu Center is recruiting two candidates for two-calendar year, Posdoctoral Fellowship positions, with a target starting date of September 1, 2021. The postdoctoral fellow will work directly with the Ubuntu Center’s director, Dr. Sharrelle Barber, Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and will also have the opportunity to work with other affiliated faculty of the center, whose research expertise include racial residential segregation, racial trauma and healing, systems science, environmental racism and justice, spatial epidemiology, and Black maternal health inequities. The postdoctoral fellow will work on ongoing and emerging projects with Center faculty and will also have the opportunity to develop their own independent research portfolio. Additional expectations include development of manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication and participation with community and advocacy activities related to the Center’s work.
We seek scholars with doctoral degrees, from across all disciplines, but whose research interests focus explicitly on links between racism and population health. While we encourage applications from all interested scholars, preference will be given to scholars who are from groups that have been historically under-represented within the academy.
The fellow will have the opportunity to participate in educational and professional programs at the Dornsife School of Public Health from the different academic centers and departments throughout the school. The candidates will also be supported in developing grant applications for external funding.
At the Dornsife School of Public Health, postdoctoral fellows receive a competitive salary and benefits package, equivalent to the one that all Drexel University receive. In addition to the postdoctoral salary and benefits, the fellow will receive a research stipend to support and advance career goals by attending conferences, conducting pilot studies, publishing, and more.
- Research Activities:
1. Participation in on-going research projects and independent research
2. Development of manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication
3. Development of grant applications for external funding
- Professional Development
- Grant Writing
- PhD or Doctorate
- Doctoral Degree (PhD, ScD, Dr PH or equivalent) in public health or related discipline.
- Demonstrated commitment to antiracism scholarship and practice.
- Record of scholarly productivity including publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific meetings.
- Record of community-centered approaches to antiracism scholarship.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- This position is classified as exempt with a salary grade of I. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Official doctoral transcript
Statement of research interests
Contact information for three references
- Please make sure you upload the following required documents upon application submission:
Advertised: Jun 20 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 21 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend