Apply now Job no:516763
Work type:Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Science
Categories:Research / Scientific
The experimental nuclear physics group of Prof. M. Boër at Virginia Tech is inviting applications for a postdoctoral associate position or senior research associate position. Our group is studying hard exclusive processes such as the exclusive photo- and electro-production of lepton pairs and mesons. Our goal is to extract Generalized Parton Distributions (GPDs) and interpret them in terms of "3D images" of the nucleon. We are developing new experiments for the Jefferson Lab Hall C and Hall A, to explore GPDs with reactions that have not been measured yet. We are also expanding this program for the future Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), in particular with Hard Exclusive Vector Meson Production. Our current approved and/or proposed programs at JLab include Timelike Compton Scattering and Double Deeply Virtual Compton Scattering. Information about the group can be found at https://boer.phys.vt.edu.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate with the Jefferson Lab community, will develop simulations, prepare experiments and software, and will be involved in the development of the DAQ and/or a prototype detector for muons to be installed in Jefferson Lab Hall C. The candidate will have opportunities to work with the graduate and undergraduate students of the group and will be encouraged to contribute to EIC programs related to this physics.
The position will be primarily based at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA. Frequent travels to Jefferson Lab (JLab) in Newport News, VA will be required. Being stationed permanently at Jefferson Lab is possible but frequent travel to Blacksburg may be necessary in that case. The initial appointment is for one year, with possible extension for up to 3 years contingent upon funding availability and satisfactory performance. Review of applications will start August 16, 2021 and the position will remain open until filled. The expected start date is fall 2021.
- PhD in Experimental or Theoretical Particle Physics, Experimental Nuclear Physics, Hadronic Physics or a closely related field by the appointment start date.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with other members of the group and external collaborators.
- Knowledge of the Linux environment and coding in C/C++/Fortran or a similar language. - Experience with data analysis and/or with running experimental simulations and/or developing event generators.
- Must be able to travel between the Jefferson Lab (JLab) in Newport News, Virginia and Virginia Tech's main campus in Blacksburg, VA.
- Ability to work independently as well as participate in JLab operations such as taking shifts.
Additional requirements for Postdoctoral Associate applicants:
- PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Candidates with previous postdoctoral experience must have experience in Experimental Physics.
Additional requirements for Senior Research Associate applicants:
- Demonstrated prior postdoctoral experience in Experimental Particle, Nuclear or Hadronic Experimental Physics.
- Demonstrated ability to develop independent research, to collaborate and/or develop collaborations with other scientist, to work with junior and senior colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to present at international conferences and to publish articles.
- Experience in hardware and/or with Geant4; a good understanding or experience with phenomenology; previous experience with JLab, BNL, COMPASS, EIC, or any other experience in relation to hadronic physics.
- Previous experience in teaching and/or supervising undergraduate and/or graduate students.
Commensurate with experience
For full consideration, applicants should send (1) a CV, (2) a list of publications, (3) a list of oral communications, (4) a cover letter including their past experiences, their motivations and a research plan. Application material must be uploaded to (VT link).
Applicants should arrange to have 3 letters of recommendation to be submited anonymously through the application website or sent directly by email to Prof. Marie Boër (email@example.com). The subject of the email should contain "Postdoctoral Applicant" and the name of the applicant.
The application deadline is August 15th. 2021, Applications received after this date may only be considered on a case by case basis. The review of the applications will start August 16th, 2021 and the position will remain open until filled. Questions about the position should be directed to Prof. Marie Boër (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (insert name) at (insert email address) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.