Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.
21200 Humanities Divisional Administration
About the Unit
The Division of the Humanities comprises nineteen degree-granting departments and committees, with approximately 800 students from around the world enrolled in our PhD, MFA, and MA programs. The faculty and students in our departments dedicate themselves to the thoughtful consideration of humanity's place in the world. This dedication is displayed through our interdisciplinary centers and programs as well as through workshops on themes ranging in diversity from political theory to contemporary art to game theory. This is a 20-hour-per-week position with benefits.
Responsible for all aspects of research projects and research facilities. Plans and conducts clinical and non-clinical research; facilitates and monitors daily activities of clinical trials or research projects. Directs engineering and technical support activities to develop and maintain tools and computational methods needed to gather and analyze data.
Career Track and Job Level
Oversees all aspects of management, scientific technological development, and operations for major research projects or research facilities. Ensures compliance of research activities with institutional, state, and federal regulatory policies, procedures, directives and mandates. Writes articles, reports and manuscripts. Presents research findings at meetings and/or conferences.
P2: Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline; still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills. Builds knowledge of the organization, processes and customers. Solves a range of straightforward problems. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
The job participates in scientific research projects. Ensures compliance of research activities with institutional, state, and federal regulatory policies, procedures, directives and mandates. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Writes articles, reports and manuscripts. Assists in drafting presentations on research findings.
1) Applies research principles and relevant subject matter knowledge relevant to administer a research project. With a moderate level of direction, manages lab and/or research-related duties and tasks. Helps develop, design and conduct research projects according to plan., 2) Supports data collection and analytical needs of research projects. Conducts literature reviews and helps write reports and manuscripts. Ensures project compliance with different policies, procedures, directives, and mandates., 3) Takes responsibility for the following non-laboratory duties: transcribing and coding data; developing data collection instruments; presenting research; and recruiting and scheduling research subjects. Acquires higher-level skills and knowledge in the process., 4) Takes responsibility for the following laboratory duties: recognizing abnormal results and varying conditions or procedures to correct problems; setting up and performing experiments. Analyze the meaning, significance, causes, and effects of the subject., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) Reporting to the Associate Dean, Planning and Administration and in collaboration with the Deputy Dean, the Research Specialist assists with self-study reviews of degree-granting departments in the Division of the Humanities.
2) Analyzes data about the department’s fields of study from a local level out to a wider spectrum to include peer institutions and the field in general;
3) Collects and analyzes data about the current state of the department, its structure and/or culture;
4) Develops faculty biographies;
5) Helps develop and conducts a survey of the Department’s current students and alumni about student experiences;
6) May meet with and interview various personnel such as faculty, students, and staff within the University or from other institutions;
7) Participates in and develops written reports about observations made;
8) Schedules, communicates with, and provides logistical support to external faculty members visiting Hyde Park campus.
9) Keeps the project on track and schedules meetings as appropriate;
10) Provides overall research and administrative support to the Deputy Dean and the department undergoing review;
11) Manages calendaring appointments for two Deputy Deans.
1) Ability to train others.
2) Knowledge in relevant field of study.
3) Knowledge of research techniques or methods.
4) Knowledge of regulatory policies and procedures.
5) Analytical skills.
6) Problem-solving skills.
7) Attention to detail.
8) Organizational skills.
9) Verbal and written communication skills.
10) Ability to work independently and as part of a team
11) Intermediate to advanced writing skills in English which would demonstrate the professional discourse which the Division wishes to convey.
12) Excellent editing and proofreading skills.
13) Excellent verbal communication skills.
14) Analytical skills.
15) Intermediate knowledge of any discipline within the PhD academic programs.
16) Knowledge of the faculty tenure system in general.
17) Intermediate knowledge of the PhD student experience.
18) Ability to understand the project goals, maintain focus, and meet deadlines.
19) Ability to assist with developing a survey.
20) Ability to conduct interviews whether in person or via telephone.
21) Ability to travel.
Applicants: Please ensure all required documents as listed in the Required Documents section below are attached.
Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) A master’s degree in a humanistic field
1) Experience conducting academic research.
2) Experience analyzing and synthesizing data.
3) Experience utilizing technology for analysis.
4) Experience developing and/or conducting a survey.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
1) Skill in synthesizing large amounts of information into meaningful summaries in a timely manner.
1) Letter of Interest in this Position
3) List of References
4) Please respond to this supplemental question/scenario: Based on information in the job posting, please describe which components of the job would be most challenging to you, and please describe how you would approach these components so that your work meets the intended goal, is on time, and is accurate?
NOTE: When applying, all Required Documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Remove from Posting On or Before